The Newspack Plugin brings together a collection of custom plugins and themes developed by the Newspack team, as well as some thoroughly vetted third-party plugins.
Documentation for these additional plugins is linked below:
- Newspack Plugin – a plugin that installs the Newspack themes, and the required plugins and some of the recommended plugins, automatically.
- Newspack Ads – a plugin that helps connect your Newspack site to various ad providers.
- Newspack Blocks – a collection of custom Gutenberg blocks, designed for building news sites, as well as some extensions to existing Gutenberg blocks.
- Newspack Pop-ups – a plugin that allows you to create AMP-compatible pop-up notifications on your Newspack site.
- AMP – a plugin that enables AMP, to serve up lightning fast sites.
- Gutenberg – WordPress’s new block-based editor. Newspack runs the latest version of the Gutenberg plugin, which is developed ahead of the version built into WordPress.
- Jetpack by WordPress.com – a plugin developed by Automattic that brings features from WordPress.com to self-hosted sites. Some features used by Newspack sites include Sharing, Site Accelerator, integration with WordAds, and Publicize.
- PWA – a plugin that helps easily turn your WordPress websites into a Progressive Web App (PWA).
- SiteKit by Google – makes it easy to set-up and configure Google Analytics, AdSense, Search Console and PageSpeed Insights, and adds a single dashboard for all to your WordPress Admin.
- Yoast SEO – a powerful plugin that helps you with your site’s search engine optimization.
Although not required to use all of the functionality in the Newspack plugin, these plugins have been thoroughly reviewed for features, quality, and code, and we’re recommending them to fill different requirements on Newspack sites:
- Akismet Anti-Spam – helps catch comment and contact form spam.
- AMP TablePress – an adapter plugin to help make the TablePress plugin AMP compatible when paired with the official AMP WordPress plugin.
- Broadstreet – helps integrate Broadstreet’s business directory and adserving power with your WordPress.
- Co-Authors Plus – a plugin that lets you add multiple authors to a single post, or to create Guest Authors that can be set as authors for posts, and have their own archive pages, without having to create WordPress accounts for them.
- Constant Contact Forms plugin – allows you to easily add your Constant Contact forms to your WordPress site.
- Coral Project – a plugin that replaces WordPress’ default comments and comment form with Vox Media’s Coral Project comments.
- Disqus for WordPress – allows you to easily replace WordPress’ default comments and comment form with Disqus‘ comment system.
- Instant Articles for WP – adds support for Instant Articles for Facebook to your WordPress site. You can learn more about Instant Articles here.
- LaterPay – a plugin that helps you easily connect your LaterPay account to your WordPress site, which will help you collect voluntary financial contributions from your visitors
- Mailchimp for WooCommerce – syncs the contact information gathered by WooCommerce from visitors who make donations with your Mailchimp account, making it easier to reach out to them again with future campaigns.
- MC4WP: Mailchimp for WordPress – connects your Mailchimp account to your WordPress site, making it easier to create sign up forms and integrate with other plugins.
- Organic Profile Block – a custom block designed to easily display personal profiles. Ideal for listing staff and contributors.
- Parse.ly – a plugin that helps connect your Parse.ly account to your WordPress site. Parse.ly helps you see how your content is performing — learn more about Parse.ly here.
- Publish to Apple News – enables your WordPress posts to be published to your Apple News channel. There’s some more information about becoming an Apple News Publisher here.
- Redirection – helps you manage 301 redirections and keep track of 404 errors.
- Regenerate Thumbnails – a plugin that helps regenerate all thumbnail sizes for images that have been uploaded to your Media Library.
- Super Cool Ad Inserter Plugin – allows you to insert widgets — like ads, newsletter signups, and calls-to-action — into posts at set intervals, or on a per-post basis.
- TablePress – helps you easily create and manage more complex tables. Should be paired with the AMP TablePress plugin to make sure the tables are AMP-compatible.
- WooCommerce – a flexible eCommerce solution built on WordPress, used to help manage Newspack sites’ donations.
- WooCommerce Name Your Price (premium plugin) – a WooCommerce extension that allows visitor-set pricing.
- WooCommerce One Page Checkout (premium plugin) – lets you turn any page into a simple one-page checkout for donations.
- WooCommerce Stripe Gateway – allows you to accept payments from the Stripe payment gateway right on your website, rather than visitors being redirected to an external Stripe checkout page.
- WooCommerce Subscriptions (premium plugin) – a WooCommerce extension that allows customers to subscribe to virtual products or services.
- WP User Avatar – by default, the Newspack themes and Homepage Posts block will use an author’s Gravatar for the portrait displayed next to their byline. This plugin lets you assign any image from the Media Library instead, for greater flexibility.